Tuesday, September 15, 2009

GETTING MY HANDS DIRTY ON MONDAYS

I love the feel of clay and the way you can manipulate it into a three dimensional space. I have missed that feeling and so signed myself into an open studio space. Most of the people in the class are potters on the wheel with the exception of one man and myself. I stood in the back room and started to create two ideas that have been in my mind for a long time. I like the idea of forms within forms, especially with clay, because suspending a platform in the center of another shape seems to defy gravity.


sketch for work in progress

The Venus of Willendorf has always been one of the pieces of ancient art that is very compelling to me. I image the person who created her, holding her in her hands, proud of her creation. She is so primitive and yet so sophisticated that I am compelled to make my own version of her... but in my version she is made of clay, she is a rattle, filled with clay beads, unfired clay that i wrap up in layers of newspaper to be fired out in the kiln. So i made two pinch pots and scored and slipped them together and paddle her little body into a preliminary shape to be continued next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment