Monday, April 7, 2014


The Yuma Territorial Prison based art that I have been working on for the past year is being shown at the Yuma Fine Arts Association on Main Street in Yuma, AZ. If you are in the area, please stop in. The work will be up until the end of April.

An added bonus are two collaborative works that I did with artist Christine Cassano. They are assemblage works consisting of concrete, painting, ceramic and ho scale prisoner people. I had so much fun working with Christine.

Sunday, March 16, 2014


Kyria (my granddaughter) had a school project, it involved showing something that was invented during the industrial revolution. She picked a mouse trap camera conceived in 1834 by Henry Fox Talbot. She told me about what she wanted to do, and together we set out to recreate Talbot's early photographs. What Talbot was especially known for was creating a negative paper plate, which he could then make multiple prints from, unlike his contemporary Louis Daguerre, who was making one off images on silver, called daguerreotypes.

We created a mouse trap camera and did put our treated paper inside of it to make a print in a similar fashion. Unfortunately, nothing printed onto the paper. We are not sure why this did not work, except that conditions (cloudy) might have made a difference, and/or our lenses were not penetrable enough to let the light in.

 We decided that along with the camera experiment we would make sun prints, which were used by Talbot with his negatives. According to our research, Talbot waxed his negative paper prints to create a positive image, again, on paper.

negative image of "speak-easy" peep hole

Kyria and I ordered a Van Dyck printing kit. Neither of us had ever done sun printing before. We turned my laundry room into a dark room and began to mix all of our chemicals. We let them sit overnight as instructed. Instead of using waxed negatives, we made negatives from original photographs that Kyria shot at my house. One is of my grandmother's singer sewing machine and the other is of my front door "speak-easy" peep hole. We took the images into photoshop and highly contrasted them and converted them to black and white. Afterwards we printed the negatives onto vellum paper (to simulate the wax effected negatives that Talbot would have made). We then treated a variety of papers with our chemicals and dried them with a blow dryer. We placed the papers onto a cardboard surface, placed the negatives on top and placed a piece of glass over that to prevent them from moving and to make a good seal between the paper and negative. We exposed them for 10 minutes in the sun and brought them in for water bath and fix. These are our results.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014


Monday I went back to Christine Cassano's studio. She had poured the concrete into our molds that we had prepared a few weeks back. (see inset below) The results are amazing. We cleaned up the clay that was used as a resist and did some transfers directly onto the concrete. I wanted to add a little more dirt (to the left in the piece above) and am waiting for the glue and dirt to bond and dry.

We built in recessed areas in both pieces, I think I want to add some figures that I am repurposing in the accompanying bottle collection. The process continues.

These pieces will be shown in April at the Yuma Fine Arts Association.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014


"2102", ceramic plate with lithographic transfer, 6" diameter. 

One of the finished glazed pieces in the Yuma plate collection. To be displayed in Yuma during the historic 100th anniversary celebration.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013


Continuing to work on my Yuma material for the Centennial Celebration in April of next year. Today I did five new plates, some with the addition of "blood" splatter. Going to the kiln tomorrow.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013


After making the initial 3x3 design, I blow up the first painting, transfer and re-paint it, using the original photo as my guide. The final image is 6x6 inches on canvas board. This is it.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Tuesday, September 24, 2013


"Alice Eller, August 1913", 3 x 3 inches, acrylic on photopaper.

Friday, September 6, 2013


"what happened at the Y?" 5 x 2.5 inches, acrylic on photopaper.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013


"grandpa plays the popeye ge-tar", 3 x 3 inches, acrylic on photopaper.

I got an email from Gary A. Bibb who is putting together a mail art show of guitar themed work, to be shown at Buffalo Brothers Guitars, asking me if I wanted to participate. Of course my first thought went to an old picture of my grandpa and my cousin, Michael. The photo also included me and my brother, but I cropped us out to give it a tighter composition and a more intimate moment for my cousin.

I wish I could go to the Carlsbad guitar store and see the exhibit in person, but Gary is posting the images on the guitar art blog, so I hope you take a look.

I did two iterations, the first square one, which is staying in my collection, and then a second, even tighter, 6 x 4, which is going to Gary.

This is a 1962 ad for the Popeye Ge-Tar from Mattel. It was only $2 an equivalent of about $17 today.